Sunday, April 11, 2010

Pictures That Lie


I chose an old dungeon-looking door because I think it is amazing how different doors are and how they change through the years. I also chose a vortex to go in the middle of the door because it seems to fit a theme that if you go through one door then you will be sucked into the 'realm' of one world while going in another door takes you in a completely different direction. It signifies the choices of life.

I got the pictures from Google images. The door was manipulated by changing the hue and saturation in order to make it look like it was from the right time period... old. I also changed the brightness and contrast to make the picture look richer. Before moving the vortex I used the fading tool on the vortex's edges. Next I altered the opacity to make it blend into the door better. I also changed the hue and saturation to make it match the coloring of the door.

In my opinion, the manipulation was not harmful because the concept of the picture is abstract; in essence, the original pictures have to be manipulated in these ways in order to get the idea across. If my picture was trying to display information to help people understand something or persuade them to think a certain way, then the manipulations would have been harmful. People have always said pictures are worth a thousand words, but in more recent times that is not necessarily true because of the overuse of photo-editing software which has caused people to distrust pictures' validity.
Baker, Monya. "Photoshop Sleuths." Technology Review. 108.2 (2005): 82. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. Web. 11 April 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment